Monday 29 March 2010

Semester 2, Assignment 5: Part B

With regards to using the methods learned throughout both semesters, I can only see the benefits to be gained from putting them into practice. As a jeweller, I look at my work as something to be worn on the body, and for me, that aspect is always at the forefront of my mind when designing a piece. Although, I can’t see how the techniques will help me all that much at the moment – our briefs this year have never been specific to one person; you’re designing the piece more for yourself than a client, I can most certainly see how they’d be extremely useful in the future. My aim, when I graduate, is to try and create pieces which always have the wearer in mind, as it’s to be more about them than me when I’m designing a ring, or a brooch etc, as it’ll be them that wears the piece, and it needs to fit the occasion it’s meant for; be that a piece to commemorate a particular event, or evoke a certain memory, or a piece to be worn everyday to remind them of something. Although, I’ll be ever present as the maker, it’s not myself I’m designing for, and I will need to learn to separate myself from the piece, in a sense.

However, I’m going to try and apply the techniques learned to one of the briefs we were assigned this year, and have chosen the stone setting project. The key directives of the brief that had to be answered were as follows; it was to be piece of wearable jewellery, it had to be made in metal, it had to incorporate the setting of another material or materials and it was to be inspired by religious/spiritual symbolism. I chose to focus on the ongoing Palestine/Israel conflict, as it was not only a subject that fitted in with the brief, but also a subject that I have been interested in for a while now. I chose it also because I wanted to reflect on the consequences of what happens when religious fanaticism gets out of hand; and to appreciate that while religion often carries positive message of love and respect, these messages are lost when situations like this arise, and innocent people are murdered in bloody warfare.

I originally deigned to concentrate solely on the struggles of the Palestinian people, as I am of the opinion that they are oppressed by Israel, but after further research and exploration of the topic, decided to include a piece which would reflect the suffering of the Israeli citizens, as it’s important to remember that the aggressors have lost victims as well, albeit, a fraction compared to Palestine. As precious or semi precious stones are not something I would associate with that part of the Middle East, I decided to set another material; a fragment of porcelain, and chose this to be my representation of the Israelis, as it is a white piece of porcelain overlain with blue patterns; the colours of the Israeli flag.

In terms of research, I read a selection of magazines and websites in order to gain an understanding of the series of events that surround this war, and as it was a visual piece, researched photos of silhouetted mosques, as this was to represent the Islam. Looking back, ideally, my strongest form of research would be to go to Palestine myself and take photographs, record notes on the atmosphere, the people, graffiti, slogans, observe the suffering in the refugee camps that litter Palestine and interview their inhabitants, but in terms of time and money, this is an unfeasible task. However, it’s something I long to do and fully intend to do in the future, as it’s a subject that both fascinates and repulses me, and is one that I’d like to explore further.

As I was not designing for a client, I’d like to think I was designing for the people of Palestine themselves and trying to create something beautiful and aesthetically pleasing, that was inspired by a horrendous subject. I wanted to shed more light on the subject, as I feel it’s something that not enough people are informed about, as more would be outraged. So, looking at it from that aspect, I’d like to put my secondary research skills to use and go out and talk to people about the situation in Gaza. I’d use a variety of interviews to find out how people felt, or how much they knew, and whether or not they sympathized. It would be a set of unstructured questions that began with loosely finding out the interviewee’s grasp of current affairs, before honing in on the subject I was most interested in their views on. This would be useful as not only I’d find out people’s reactions, I could also use it as an opportunity to inform them as well.

Another method I could use would to show people images, preferably not too disturbing, but to an extent unsettling, and ask people what the images made them think of. I could collect a selection of key words and phrases, which I’d use as inspiration when designing the piece. In saying that, I could also show people my designs and ask them what it made them think of; would they immediately associate as I’d intended? This could be, potentially, incredibly useful, as it would give me as outsider’s opinion as to what message my piece was relaying, and how obvious it was. Although I wanted the message to be subtle, I also wanted it to be fairly recognizable, but again the problem arises of people not knowing enough on the subject, so would they understand the message I was trying to convey? I think that, given the opportunity, I’d need to display the piece next to some of my research, such as an open page of my sketchbook, in order for the viewer to fully recognize the subject matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment